It’s hard to believe but it is that time of year again. We have witnessed almost a full year of exciting Runnin’ Lopes games and rodeos. It has been a year of highs and lows but we are very proud of the efforts of all our athletes.
The RUNNIN’ LOPES ATHLETE APPRECIATION DINNER will be held this year on April 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm, in the gymnasium of the Wellness Center of Lamar Community College. Tickets will be on sale soon from Booster Board Members. Tickets will be $15 per person. That time is nearly here and thanks to the efforts of Stan Brinkley and others we have procured a very exciting motivational speaker in Baseball’s Ed Hearn. When you read about him, you will be impressed. He has received awards and high praise for his inspirational talks.
Following are highlights of the exciting life of our featured speaker, Ed Hearn, taken from his website.
- The FIRST and ONLY, current or former professional athlete from the 4 major sports to receive the prestigious CSP speaking designation!
- 8 1/2 years persevering in the minor leagues
- Member of the 1986 World Champion New York Mets
- After a superb rookie season as a catcher for the Mets, he was traded to the Kansas City Royals for a young pitcher named David Cone. Shortly into that season – major shoulder surgery. Spent the next 3 years attempting a comeback.
- Spring of 1991, no more opportunities for him in baseball.
- Just three short months after he began his new career in the business world, Ed was diagnosed with three very serious and potentially life threatening illnesses that made his shoulder injury pale by comparison. He had gone from being a big, strong professional athlete to a man who was too weak to get out of bed without assistance. Today, after three life-saving kidney transplants, dialysis, cancer, the aid of a breathing machine each night, and 25-40 pills a day ($40,000 of meds. per year), Ed Hearn has come back to live a life which is truly an inspiration to all those around him.
- As a man & professional speaker, his courage, faith, motivation & willingness to be openly vulnerable in relating to his audiences the good, the bad & the ugly. He speaks volumes to each of us as we face life’s challenges in pursuit of the happiness and success we all desire.
- Gleaming from a lifetime of reaching for the top of life’s mountain while experiencing the pits of its deepest valleys, Ed Hearn shares a wit and wisdom about life usually reserved for those much further along in years. Certainly his celebrity status of being a former Major League ballplayer initially attracts many to ask him to speak, but be it young or old, executive or blue-collar worker, his audiences walk away remembering him not so much as an athlete, but more as a man who has had a dramatic affect on the way they view their own lives and challenges they face. They speak of being uplifted and inspired with a renewed spirit of hope and motivation to pursue victory in all areas of their lives no matter what the challenge or adversity
Filed under: College, community, Education, Entertainment, Events, Lamar, Sports, Youth · Tags: Appreciation Dinner, awards, baseball, Booster Club, Ed Hearn, Hoof-beats, Lamar Community College, LCC, professional athlete, Runnin' Lopes, speaker, Wellness Center